Auld Kirk

In 1650 the parish of divided into the two new parishes of Old Cumnock and New Cumnock. The parish of Old Cumnock was served b the existing (‘old’) church that was situated at the heart of what is now the town of Cumnock. A ‘new’ church was required to serve the parish of New Cumnock. It was built on the castle-hill in 1659 adjacent to the site of Cumnock Castle the ancient seat of the barons of Cumnock.

auldkirk00