Mary McQueen Thomson Honyman
Residence : Edinburgh and later Eastend House, Carmichael, Lanarkshire
Sometime between 1790 and 1792 James Stirling , Lord Provost of Edinburgh bought the lands of Garrieve and Garclaugh in the parish of New Cumnock. In July 1792 he was created Sir James Stirling, 1st Baronet of Mansfield, having renamed his estate in New Cumnock after his wife Alison Mansfield.
Sir James sold his lands in New Cumnock and in the 1803 Tax Rolls for the parish John Buchan Esquire, Writer to the Signet is identified as the proprietor of Garrieve and Garrieve Crawford (an old name for the lands when owned by the Crawford family, including the Reverend Hugh Crawford, the first minister of the parish of New Cumnock). Buchan also owned the parcel of lands Meikle Mains, Middle Park, Little Park and Nether Park, which make up the estate of Castlemains.
The lands of Mansfield changed hands again and were acquired along presumably with the above lands of Castlemains, by Andrew Thomson and fashioned as Andrew Thomson, Esquire of Mansfield and Castlemains . On his death at Mansfield House in 1806 these properties appear to have passed to his niece Catherine Thomson. In 1815 Catherine married William Honyman of Smyllum, Lanarkshire, who added the name Thomson to his own. Together they had two children Mary McQueen Thomson Honyman born in 1817 at Edinburgh and William Andrew Thomson Honyman born in 1819 at Mansfield, presumably at the small mansion house there.
Through 1822 to 1824 the Estates of Mansfield (1. and 2.) and Castlemains (3.) were put up for sale as three lots –
- The lands of Garrieve and Garclaugh
- The 40 shilling land of Polquheys and 2 merkland of Rottenyard
- The lands of Castlemains
There appears to have been a change of heart by 1825 at which time only Lot 1 the lands of Garrieve and Garclaugh were up for sale, which were purchased by the Stuart-Menteth family of Closeburn, Dumfriesshire. The Thomson Honyman family held onto lots 2. and 3. with Castlemains as their cheif property in New Cumnock.
In 1828 William Thomson Honyman died at Naples and his New Cumnock son Wiilliam Andrew inherited the Thomson Honyman lands in New Cumnock. Sadly, he died in February 1833, aged 13 years only a few months before the opening service at the new parish church of New Cumnock. His sister Mary McQueen Thomson Honeyman and his her name that appears on the list of heritors.
In 1836 Mary McQueen Thomson Honyman married Michael Thomson Carmichael of Eastend House, Carmichael , Lanarkshire and the family settled at Eastend House.
Eastend House with the Thomson Carmichael arms and the intials of Michael Thomas Carmichael and Mary McQueen Thomson
The name of Michael Thomson Carmichael appears in the list of chief-landowners of given in 2nd Statistical Account of the parish of New Cumnock (1838) as M.T.Carmichael Esq of Mains . Mary McQueen Thomson Honyman died at Amisfield House, Haddington in 1899, aged 81 years.
Proprietor Honeyman Carmichael Esq. / Cess Roll > 1836? Meiklemains , Mid and Laigh Park, North Dalhanna, Polquheys and Rottenyard
Proprietor Michael Thomson Carmichael , Eastend / Valuation Rolls 1865: Castlemains, Rottenyard, Cairnhill, Waterside, Polquheys, Muirfoot and Little Dalhanna
National Library of Scotland
- All maps reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland
- Old Parish Records, Births, Marriages, Deaths, Census Records, Valuations Rolls, Wills & Testaments
- Historical Land Tax Rolls