05: Sir John Andrew Cathcart

Sir John Andrew Cathcart, 5th Baronet of Carleton

Residence: Carleton Castle, Colmonell, Ayrshire

Cathcart Arms

In the late 14th century Lord Alan de Cathcart pledged many lands in his barony of Dalmellington to Roger de Craufurd of Dalleagles including Beoch, Marshallmark, Knockburnie and Lanehead in the vicinity of Waterhead. The Beoch lands, including a tower, passed to the Craufurds of Lefnoreis. By the early 16th century Waterhead appears to have been back with the Cathcart family and later the Cathcarts of Carleton.

EPSON scanner image

Ruins of Waterhead Castle and Little Rigend on the hill

Sir John Andrew Cathcart was the 5th Baronet of Carleton and was married to Hannah Eleanor Kennedy, daughter of the Earl of Cassillis and sister of the Marquis of Ailsa.

aa_maneight

Maneight

Proprietor Sir Andrew Cathcart / Land Tax Roll 1803: Waterhead, Lanehead

Proprietor Sir John Cathcart Baronet / Valuation Rolls 1855: Meiklehill, Knockburnie, Rigghill, Blackfurthy (Blackfarthing), Sunnyside, Maneight, Marshalmark, Back Rigg, Burnside of Rigg, Forerig, High Rigend, Little Rigend, Waterhead, Lanehead, House of Water, Rigghill & Burnside. (See also 12. John Cathcart)

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

National Library of Scotland

Scotland’s People

Scotland’s Places 

[See Waterhead Castle]