1860s | New Cumnock Coalfield
Bank Coal Company: In 1860 John Hyslop of Bank founded the Bank Coal Company. There had been a number of pits on the lands adjoining the Hyslop’s home. These were small units, each employing between twenty and thirty miners. Hyslop acquired the furnaces and collieries of the ill-fated Nithsdale Iron Works. In 1863 the Creoch branch line, from the Glasgow-Carlisle line, was completed at which time John Hyslop acquired two partners , John Mackenzie and his brother Kenneth. They deepened Bank No. 2, sank a new Bank No.1 and Bank No.3 all before 1868 [Carvel].
Lanemark Coal Company: In 1865 Robert Brown, John Hunter and James Paton formed the Lanemark Coal Company. Brown from Ayr, had previously headed a syndicate that leased the minerals of the lands of Lanemark and South Boig. In 1863 Hunter of Burnfoot in the neighbouring parish of Dalmellington had taken the lease the Lanemark minerals. Paton a business man from Ayr was a partner in the Clyde Iron Works and had interest in a number of enterprises in Ayr [Carvel].
|1862 May 21||Bank Pit||William||Samson||34|
|1866 Feb 26||Bank Pit||Thomas||Patrick||44|
|1866 Feb 26||Bank Pit||Matthew||Morrison||36|
|1867 Aug 24||Coalburn Pit||James||Polland||14|
|1867 May 31||Bank Pit||Hugh||Brown||37|
|1868 Sep 11||North Boig Pit||Adam||Dickie||23|