Boig, Boigcurroch

Place-name:Boig, Boigcurroch
Suggested Meaning :bog, fen. marshy round
First element:1. Scots boig ‘bog’
2.Gaelic bog, buig ‘marshy, fen, swampy, ground’
Second element:Gaelic currachbog, fen, where shrubs grow
Blaeu Coila (1654):N. Boigcurroch, O. Boigcuroch
OS Name Books (1855-57):North Boig, South Boig, High Boig
Location:Ordnance Survey (1892-1960)
Earlier Forms
Bogcorrocht (1512), Boig (1601), Bogcorrechen (1605), Bogcorroche (1622), Bogcurroch (1634), Boigcurroch (Blaeu,1645), Bogge, Boig (1684), Netherbogg (Roy, 1752)

The Dunbars of Cumnock, descended from the Earls of Dunbar, were established as the Barons of Cumnock in the late 14th century, with Cumnock Castle as their baronial seat. Branches of this family held other properties in what was the parish of Cumnock (i.e. Old Cumnock and New Cumnock) including in 1512 Patrick Dunbar, called of Bogcorocht , alledged attorney for Patrick Dunbar, son of Patrick Dunbar of Corsincon; who had been murdered whilst attending mass of Cumnock Kirk.

The lands of Boigcurroch were later divided into Nether and Over Boigcurroch. The name appears to be an example of tautology with both elements boig and curroch a reference to the boggy, marshy aspect of the land. The first element may be Scots boig pre-fixed to the earlier Gaelic curroch

Nether Boigcurrach sits on the south bank of the River Nith and the plain would be susceptible flooding,

Map 1 N. and O. Boigcurroch| Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland

In later years the Scots element boig is retained and Galeic element currach is dropped. Like many other place-names in New Cumnock the terms Nether and Over are replaced and Nether Boigcurrach is now North Boig while Over Boigcurrach is now South Boig. In addition there is a High Boig which perhaps originally waspart of Over Boigcurrach.

Map 2 North, South | Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland

The Ordnance Survey Name Books (1855-57) entry for the Boigs read –

  • North Boig: A good farm house and Steading, near the River Nith, occupied by John Hastings
  • South Boig: A farm house occupied by John Hyslop Esq. the property of Mrs H D. Boswell
  • High Boig: A farm house occupied by John Hyslop Esq – Bank

 ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

References
Maps
By Permission of National Library of Scotland
https://maps.nls.uk/
Map 1 |Blaeu (1645) |Boigcurrach
Map 2 | OS (1892-1960) | North, South and High Boig
Ordnance Survey Name Books
By Permission of Scotland’s Places
scotlandsplaces.gov.uk
Ayrshire OS Name Books (1855-57) Vol. 49 | North Boig
Ayrshire OS Name Books (1855-57) Vol. 49 | South Boig
Ayrshire OS Name Books (1855-57) Vol. 49 |High Boig