Hall of Mansfield

The Hall of Mansfield and Mansfield Mains are situated at either ends of a cross section on the Mansfield road, just beyond Bowes Cottage. To the south sits the Mains and to the north the Hall, sandwiched between the Mansfield Burn and the road to Mounthope farm.

Hall of Mansfield and the road to the farm and limekiln

On further inpsection the map below reveals two sandstone quarries, a freestone quarry, a clay pit as well as a limestone quarry and limekiln in the vicinity of the Hall of Mansfield.


BC=Bowes Cottage; MM=Mansfield Mains; HoM=Hall of Mansfield; MH = Mansfield House (now in ruins); MC=Mansfield Cottage

Walking up the road to Mounthope and soon after passing the road-end to the Hall of Mansfield the limekiln quickly comes into view sitting proudly in the field beyond the Hall Burn.

Hall of Mansfield limekiln from the road to Mounthope

The key components of the Hall of Mansfield ‘lime-work’s are readily identified in the map below. The limestone quarry running west to east before ending with a dog-leg to the south. On the west-side of the quarry sits some out buildings and to the south built into an escarpment is a T-shaped limekiln. Access to the lime works is from a path off the road to Mounthope and a couple of bridges over the Hall Burn.

Ordnance Survey Maps


A= Footbridge ove Hall Burn; B=House & outbuildings; C=Limekiln

The main changes in the maps of 1857 and 1896 is the disappearance of the pool at the footbridge over the Hall Burn and the appearance of two buildings on the banks of the burn upstream from the bridge. There also appears to be a building flush with the west side of the limekiln.


The path to the limekiln over the small bridge in the forefront with the track to the top of the kiln on the left to feed the limestone and a track to the track to the right to gather the lime.


West facing access arch


West facing acess arch


West and south facing access arches


South facing access arch


South facing access arch


South and east facing access arches


 East facing access arch


East facing access arch


Top of kiln with pieces of scrap


Top of the kiln


Limestone Quarry

Quarry face


Quarry flood water


House & Outbuildings

This may be the site of the house that appears in the Valuation Roll of 1865 under the entry of N. Jamieson and Son who had a  leass of “Hall Limework” and a”House”. It may also be the “Hall’s Cottar House” recorded in the 1881 Census at which time John McClure, ploughman and his family were resident.

House 1

The small brick pillars are presumably foundations for a floor


House 2



Not sure what role these parallel blocks of stone played. Any idea?

Enter a caption

Hall Burn

The bridge over the Hall Burn with Mansfield Mains farmhouse in the distance




Scotland’s People


  • Census Records
  • Valuations Rolls
  • Births, Marriages and Deaths

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical and Monuments of Scotland

The RCAHMS Canmore entry contains one image of the lime-kilns.