|Suggested Meaning (1):||1. ‘Disputed land’ knowe|
|First element:||Gaelic cointin ‘dispute’|
|Suggested Meaning (2):||2. Personal name|
|First element||1.Quintin McAdam 2. St.Quintin|
|Blaeu Coila (1654):||No entry|
|OS Name Books (1855-57):||Quintin Knowe|
|Location:||Ordnance Survey (1937-1961)|
1. Quintin | Gaelic cointin ‘ dispute’
Sir Herbert Maxwell  in The Place-Names of Galloway considers Quintin, Mochrum and Quantan’s Hill, Carsphairn as cointin ‘dispute’.
Edward Dwelly  cointean ‘controversy’ and cointeanach ‘contentious’.
Quintin Knowe stands in the east of the parish of New Cumnock a mile and a half from the meeting place of the three parishes of New Cumnock (or original parish of Cumnock), Sanquhar and Kirkconnel. Of course the parish boundary with New Cumnock and both Kirkconnel and Sanquhar marks the boundary of Ayrshire and Dumfriesshire. Perhaps the boundary was disputed at the time of Gaelic-speaking settlers?
It is also interesting to note that Quintin’s Burrn in the parish of Sanquhar runs parallel with the stretch of Kello Water that forms the boundary with Sanquhar and Kirkconnel at this point. Perhaps the boundary was disputed here too.
2. Quintin | Personal Name
2.1 Quintin McAdam
The Ordnance Survey Name Books entry for Quintin Knowe reads –
A long ridge-like Knowe about 8 chains south of Star Bog, and 30 chains East of Ern Cleugh. The name is probably derived from the name of a man: Quintin McAdam, Esq., is proprietor of the lands of Muir.
The two local authorities for the spelling of the name were John Welsh, Blackcraig and Thomas Lee, Dunside. Their reference to the lands of Muir are probably those of Moor on the other side of the Water of Deugh from Lochmeharb.
In the 1803 Land Tax Rolls although Quintin McAdam, Craigengillen is recorded as the proprietor of Lochmeharb, Lanemark and Two Beochs in the parish of New Cumnock, there are no records of him owing land near Quintin Knowe and the boundary with Dumfriesshire. Sadly, he came to a sorry end, taking his own life two years later.
2.2 St. Quintin
At Kirkton in the parish of Kirkmahoe, Dumfriesshire a 14th century church was dedicated to St. Quintin.
| Sir Herbert Maxwell ‘The Place-Names of Galloway”|
| Edward Dwelly ‘Gaelic Dictionary’|
|By Permission of National Library of Scotland|
|Map 1 | OS (1937-61) Quintin Knowe|
|Map 2 | OS (1857-91), Boundaries Viewer| Quintin Knowe|