|Suggested Meaning:||side of the slow moving stream|
|Scots lane ‘slow moving stream’|
|Blaeu Coila (1654):||No Entry|
|OS Name Books (1855-57):||Laneside|
|Location:||Ordnance Survey (1894)|
Scots lane ‘slow moving stream’ + ‘side’
Laneside farm took its name from its location on the north bank of the Beoch Lane close to its confluence with the River Nith. The ruin has been lost to opencast coal workings.
As well as Beoch Lane, the place-name element Scots lane ‘slow-moving stream’  is found elsewhere in the parish in Lane Burn (which in turn gives rise to the farm names Lanehead and Lanemark); Auchtitench Lane and Back Lane on the north-east of the parish.
The Ordnance Survey Name Book (1855-57) entry for Laneside reads –
A small house with a few acres of land attached – It is a sublet off Waterhead.
Tenants: James Weir (farmer), Elzabeth Weir (wife) and David Weir (son) along with three lodgers.
Tenants: William Dick (farmer of 35 acres), Deborah Dick nee Walls (wife), and children – Deborah, Elizabeth, James, Helen and Jane – who was born at Laneside on 10th July 1848.
| Dictionaries of the Scots Language |lane|
|Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland|
|Map 1 | Ordnance Survey (1856) |Laneside|
|Map 2 | Ordnance Survey (1857) | Laneside & Waterhead|
|Ordnance Survey Name Books|
|By Permission of Scotland’s Places|
|Ayrshire OS Name Books (1855-57) Vol. 49| Laneside|
|Old Parish Records, Births, Marriages, Deaths, Census Records, Valuations Rolls, Wills & Testaments|
|Old Parish Records | Baptisms|