Out of darkness, Into light | 1840s
|18/04/1845||North Boig Pit||1||David Shannon|
|22/12/1846||Mansfield Colliery||1||George Brown|
|12/12/1847||Nithsdale Iron Co.||1||John Riggs|
1840s | New Cumnock Coalfield
Mansfield Colliery: Situated on Grievehill on the Mansfield estate owned by Sir Charles Stuart-Menteth. He was created 1st Baron of Mansfield and Closeburn in 1838 and passed away in 1847 when he was suceeded by his son Sir James Stuart-Menteth.
Nithsdale Iron Works: Formed in 1847 by John Nicholson, William Muschamp and Nicholas Ward from the north-east of England which was established on the banks of the Connel Burn. They had acquired a lease of the Afton Minerals and the right to produce pig-iron. Experienced iron-workers from Shotley Bridge and Consett, County Durham were brought to get the new venture underway. [J.L.Carvel]
North Boig Pit: One of a number of small pits in the parish at the time.
- The New Cumnock Coalfield, J. L. Carvel (1946)