|Scots quarrel ‘quarry’|
|Blaeu Coila (1654):||No Entry|
|OS Name Books (1855-57):||Quarrel Quarry|
|Location:||Ordnance Survey (1892-1960)|
The Ordnance Survey Name Book (1855-57) entry for Quarrel Quarry reads –
A freestone Quarry, about 1/4 of a mile N.E. [North East] of Gatehead
Quarrel Quarry is an example of place-name tautology since Scots quarrel is ‘quarry’ .
In the Register of Sasines there is an entry for ‘Robert Dalzell in Quarrell in Garrive 8 July 1657’ ; where Garrive was the original name of the lands now known as Mansfield.
The Old Parish Records ( first recorded in 1706) include the following entries for Quarrell and the place-name variant Quarrle, probably a reference to the cottage that housed the quarrymen and their families.
- 21 May 1708 ‘Euphans, daughter to William Barry and Janet Paterson in Quarrell’
- 14 Jan 1802 ‘George, son of Andrew McTurk and Jean Lambie in Quarrle‘
There is no reference to the cottage in the Ordnance Survey Name Book (1855-57) nor sadly is there any sign of ruins. It may be the case that the cottage took its name from the quarry at the time it was commonly known as Scots quarrel and retained that name. At a later time when the word quarry came into fashion it was named Quarrel Quarry because of its location near the cottage known as Quarrell!
In 1851 young Andrew Beattie was born at Bowes Cottage on the Mansfield Road less than a mile south of the Quarrel Quarry. His father, also Andrew, was an agricultural labour but in later years found work at Tarbolton as a quarryman. The family returned to Bowes Cottage where Andrew senior would serve as the toll keeper. His son Andrew junior had followed in his father’s footsteps by working as a quarryman before progressing to be a master mason and one of the leading builders in New Cumnock.
| Dictionary of the Scots Language |quarrel|
| Index of Particular Register of Sasines, Sheriffdom of Ayr and Baillieries of Kylr, Carrick and Cunningham (1635-1660) Vol.II|
|Reproduced with the Permission of the National Library of Scotland|
|Map 1 | Ordnance Survey (1858) | Quarrel Quarry|
|Map 2 | Ordnance Survey (1892-1960) |Old Quarry|
|Ordnance Survey Name Books|
|By Permission of Scotland’s Places|
|Ayrshire OS Name Books (1855-57) Vol. 49| Quarrel Quarry|
|Old Parish Records, Births, Marriages, Deaths, Census Records, Valuations Rolls, Wills & Testaments|