Sir John Andrew Cathcart, 5th Baronet of Carleton
Residence: Carleton Castle, Colmonell, Ayrshire
In the late 14th century Lord Alan de Cathcart pledged many lands in his barony of Dalmellington to Roger de Craufurd of Dalleagles including Beoch, Marshallmark, Knockburnie and Lanehead in the vicinity of Waterhead. The Beoch lands, including a tower, passed to the Craufurds of Lefnoreis. By the early 16th century Waterhead appears to have been back with the Cathcart family and later the Cathcarts of Carleton.
Sir John Andrew Cathcart was the 5th Baronet of Carleton and was married to Hannah Eleanor Kennedy, daughter of the Earl of Cassillis and sister of the Marquis of Ailsa.
Proprietor Sir Andrew Cathcart / Land Tax Roll 1803: Waterhead, Lanehead
Proprietor Sir John Cathcart Baronet / Valuation Rolls 1855: Meiklehill, Knockburnie, Rigghill, Blackfurthy (Blackfarthing), Sunnyside, Maneight, Marshalmark, Back Rigg, Burnside of Rigg, Forerig, High Rigend, Little Rigend, Waterhead, Lanehead, House of Water, Rigghill & Burnside. (See also 12. John Cathcart)
National Library of Scotland
- All maps reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland
- Old Parish Records, Births, Marriages, Deaths, Census Records, Valuations Rolls, Wills & Testaments
- Historical Land Tax Rolls