|Place-name:||Mansfield Linn, Linn Burn,|
Netherlinn, Upper Linn
|Suggested Meaning:||waterfall on Mansfield Burn|
|Scots linn ‘waterfall’|
|Blaeu Coila (1654):||Garrif burn.|
|OS Name Books (1855-57):||Mansfield Linn, Linn Burn,|
Netherlinn, Upper Linn
|Location:||Ordnance Survey (1892-1960)|
|Garrif b. (Blaeu 1654)|
In 1790 Sir James Stirling, Lord Provost of Edinburgh acquired lands in the parish of New Cumnock including those of Garrieve and Garclaugh. He named his new estate Mansfield in honour of his wife Alison Mansfield and in 1792 he was created the 1st Baronet of Mansfield. The farms of Nether Garrieve and Over Garrieve would later be known as Hall of Mansfield and Mansfield Mains respectively, while the mansion was known as Mansfield House. The lands later fell into the hands of the Stuart-Menteth family and in 1838 Sir Charles Granville Stuart-Menteth was created the 1st Baronet of Closeburn and Mansfield.
Mansfield Linn, Mansfield Burn and Linn Burn
Garif Burn was also renamed Mansfield Burn but only that part from its source in Grievehill to its meeting place with Hall Burn. Within this stretch of the burn is a small waterfall called Mansfield Linn, from Scots linn ‘ waterfall, cataract, cascade of water’. The remaining stretch of the burn to where it joins the River Nith is called the Linn Burn, named after the aforementiond linn.
The Ordnance Survey Name Book (1855-57) entry for Mansfield Linn reads –
A waterfall about 40 feet high. 9 chains south west of Upper Linn, and 19 chains north of Nether Linn
There are two other Linn Burns in the parish, one near Dalgig farm and the other at Meikle hill near the boundary with Dalmellington. There is also the “Roarin’ Linn” on the Afton Water, more a noisy cascade of water over rocks, rather than a waterfall.
Video clip of Mansfield Linn (Robert Guthrie)
Photos of Mansfield Burn , Mansfield Linn and Linn Burn (Robert Guthrie)
The ruins of Upper Linn sit on the east bank of the Mansfield Burn some 200 metres upstream from the Mansfield Linn. It is commonly referred to as High Linn or High Lynn in the Valuation Rolls and was home to tenants of the Mansfield Estate.
The 1841 Census Records show Thomas Brown, 78, bower or dairyman, living there with his wife Margaret along with three lodgers. Their son George and his wife Margaret had previously lived there too; it was here that their first child Thomas was born. George found work on the Mansfield estate as a Tile Maker and then as a miner at Mansfield Colliery on Grieve Hill. Sadly, he was tragically killed by a fall of coal and lies buried in the family lair in the Auld Kirkyard.
Photos of Upper Linn (Robert Guthrie)
The ruins of Netherlinn stand in the Linn field on the opposite side of Mansfield Road from the ruins of Mansfield House; the property was also known as Low Linn or just Linn.
In the 1891 Census Anthony Milligan, coachman and domestic servant and his wife Jane are living here with three children. Anthony would spend much of his day at the Mansfield stables where his son Hugh also worked as a groom. Lady Jane Stuart Menteth was one of the leading land-owners in the parish and one of Anthony’s duties would include taking Lady Jane by coach along the Mansfield road to church and back.
Photos of Netherlinn (Robert Guthrie)
|Reproduced with the Permission of the National Library of Scotland|
|Map 1 | Ordnance Survey (1892-1960)|
|Map 2 | Ordnance Survey Map (1858)|
|Ordnance Survey Name Books|
|By Permission of Scotland’s Places|
|Ayrshire OS Name Books (1855-57) Vol. 49| Mansfield Linn|
|Ayrshire OS Name Books (1855-57) Vol. 49| Netherlinn|
|Ayrshire OS Name Books (1855-57) Vol. 49| Upper Linn|
|Ayrshire OS Name Books (1855-57) Vol. 49|Mansfield Burn|
|Ayrshire OS Name Books (1855-57) Vol. 49| Linn Burn|
|Ayrshire OS Name Books (1855-57) Vol. 49| Hall Burn|
|Old Parish Records, Births, Marriages, Deaths, Census Records, Valuations Rolls, Wills & Testaments|