|Suggested Meaning (1):||‘ferme-town at the burn’|
|First element:||Scots burn‘ stream’|
|Second element:||Scots –ton ‘ferme-town’|
|Blaeu Coila (1654):||O.Blakwood|
|OS Name Books (1855-57):||Burnton|
|Location:||Ordnance Survey (1937-1961)|
The properties of N. Blakwood (Nether Blackwood) and O. Blackwood (Over Blackwood) are shown in Blaeu’s Coila Provincia (1654). However the latter was also known as Burnetoun, since it sat on the east bank of the Blackwood Burn as it made its way to the River Nith.
’12 April 1603: Sasine was given by Hugh Campbell in Polquhirtour to Finlay Campbell in Nether Blakwod for the merk land of Over Blakwod called the Burnetoun’. 
Through time the name Over Blackwood was replaced by Burnetoun and then later Burnton. Blackwood Burn became Burnton and Nether Blackwood shortened to Blackwood.
The Ordnance Survey Name Books (1855-57) entry for Burnton simply reads –
“A farm house, the property of the Marquis of Bute, occupied by Hugh Kirk
| Stuart Clarkson|
|By Permission of National Library of Scotland|
|Map 1 |Blaeu (1645) |Over Blackwood|
|Map 2 | OS (1937-61) | Burnton|